Support Nightlife Workers
We are a collective of nightlife organizers, producers, entertainers, venue owners, and nonprofit community leaders providing direct gifts of aid to workers from LGBTQ nightlife groups in the SF Bay Area.
Nightlife is central to the Bay Area’s queer culture. Those whose primary source of income is in nightlife are currently experiencing economic insecurity as a result of bar closures and event cancellations in light of the COVID-19 pandemic. The purpose of this fund is to provide financial relief to workers in the nightlife industry for as long as the current crisis continues.
LGBTQ Nightlife Workers Need Support
“Queer nightlife is a renowned and integral aspect of San Francisco Bay Area culture. The people who produce and staff local queer nightlife have been financially devastated by the venue closures resulting from the coronavirus crisis. The Bay Area is known worldwide as a center for amazing queer nightlife. Let’s keep that nightlife alive by lending a helping hand to those who need our help in these trying times.”Race Bannon
“Queer nightlife is at the heart of our community. For generations of LGBTQ people, nightlife is how we found our community and learned that we aren’t alone. The workers who make queer nightlife run are unsung heroes…. We need to be there for them. For those of us fortunate enough to still have a paycheck, let’s chip in to help these members of our community survive. The San Francisco Bay Area Queer Nightlife Fund is an amazing way to do so.”Calif. Sen. Scott Wiener
“We need to band together as a community to help support our friends who work in nightlife, now more than ever. With COVID-19 just starting to affect our City, the newly instated quarantine is going to rapidly change the lives of those who help make the magic happen, night after night. The SF Queer Nightlife Fund will secure their stability now and until this pandemic is over.”Juanita More
“All of us who still have jobs can support those who don’t. We must all support our friends and neighbors as we face this new challenge to our community and our nation. We’ve been to this rodeo before, and we know what to do.”Cleve Jones
The SF QNF organizers have set a goal to raise $200,000 to fund 200 grants to low and moderate income workers laid off from nightlife because of COVID-19. As of today, we have raised 42.85% of our goal.
Give a gift of support and provide direct relief to servers, performers, artists, and other workers who are suffering financial insecurity as a result of COVID-19.
NOTE: Donations to QNF are NOT tax-deductible and your receipt will be provided from the Center for LGBTQ Economic Advancement & Research, a 501(c)4 nonprofit.
If you’re giving a large gift of more than $2,000.00, or if you are an organization interested in giving a sponsorship or donated gift to the San Francisco Queer Nightlife Fund, please contact us.
1. Employed in Queer Nightlife
Those eligible to receive funds are those for whom nightlife employment constitutes a significant portion of their regular monthly income, and where nightlife is defined as working as:
- A service industry worker, such as a bartender or server at a nightlife establishment.
- An entertainer, such as a DJ, dancer, or drag performer who performs at nightlife events.
- An artist, such as a production, lighting designer, or event photographer.
- A vendor or contractor primarily serving the nightlife industry.
- A producer or organizer of nightlife events.
2. Financial Hardship & Need
Applicants’ annual or monthly income should be considered low- or moderate- income (LMI) for the SF Bay Area.
Only life-line expenses will be considered for a grant, such as:
- Electricity, Gas
- Basic Telephone / Internet Service
- Food (normal basic maintenance)
- Medical, Insurance (if none other is available)
3. Application Deadlines & Limitations
QNF organizers expect a significant need for community-members affected by the COVID-19 crisis.
To ensure that the fund provides sufficient relief to affected individuals, we are limiting the initial application cohort (due March 31, 2020) to 200 awards.
Additional application cycles may be added if further relief is required for workers to meet their life-line needs during the COVID-19 crisis and community support is available to fulfill this demand.
- QNF Update | March 30, 2020FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASEMarch 30, 2020 PRESS CONTACT:firstname.lastname@example.org As of 12:00 AM, Pacific Standard Time this morning (March 30, 2020), the San Francisco Queer Nightlife Fund has engaged over $90,000 in support for nightlife workers whose livelihood has been affected by the COVID-19 crisis–including over $6,000 raised at today’s Quaran-Tea Fundraiser.
- QNF Update | March 29, 2020FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASEMarch 29, 2020 PRESS CONTACT:email@example.com As of 12:00 AM, Pacific Standard Time this morning (March 29, 2020), the San Francisco Queer Nightlife Fund has engaged over $83,000 in support for nightlife workers whose livelihood has been affected by the COVID-19 crisis.
- QNF Update | March 28, 2020FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASEMarch 28, 2020 PRESS CONTACT:firstname.lastname@example.org As of 12:00 AM, Pacific Standard Time this morning (March 28, 2020), the San Francisco Queer Nightlife Fund has engaged over $82,000 in support for nightlife workers whose livelihood has been affected by the COVID-19 crisis.